Annual salary of $50,000, full-time, 40 hours per week
Benefits: Health, dental, life insurance, matching retirement contributions, paid time off, sick time, and paid holidays
Applications are accepted through March 24th. Interviews begin the week of March 27th with an anticipated start date as soon as possible.
The Harrison Township Public Library is a Class IV library with a service population just under 25,000. Harrison Township is a beautiful waterfront community located on Lake St. Clair with a number of local recreational activities for outdoor enthusiasts. The library was first established as a community-funded entity in 2015 and continues to grow. HTPL is seeking a personable, enthusiastic individual to join us on our journey.
The Adult Services Librarian is crucial to HTPL’s program of public service. Duties include:
- Planning, promoting, and hosting innovative adult and general family programs
- Developing the collection and weeding of materials including fiction, nonfiction, audiobooks, large print, and electronic formats within the designated budget
- Providing comprehensive reference and readers’ advisory services
- Assisting our guests with the use of the library including print and electronic materials such as technology instruction, Internet navigation, use of Microsoft Office programs, Overdrive, Freegal, Kanopy, Consumer Reports, HTPL catalog, MeLCat and Mel databases, and all other library services as needed
- Overseeing the maintenance of library satellite collections
- Working independently within the guidelines set by library policies and the Library Director
- Motivating, establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with coworkers, supervisors, volunteers, other community agencies, and the public
- Assuming responsibilities for supervision of personnel and facilities in the absence of senior staff
- Maintaining awareness of new developments and trends in the field through professional journals, workshops, conferences, etc.
- Performing public relations functions such as preparing promotional materials and press releases, developing in-house displays, maintain library social media accounts, and participate in community outreach opportunities that may require public speaking
- Performing other related duties as required
- Master’s degree in Library Science or its equivalent from an ALA-accredited school
- Demonstrated knowledge of children’s programming and materials
- Positive, proactive customer-oriented attitude
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Computer proficiency including Windows Operating System, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, online services such as Overdrive and MEL, web utilities including email and searching
- Flexibility in scheduling including nights and weekends
- Successful experience with Adult Services programming and collection development
- Customer service experience
- Using the telephone, lifting, pushing, pulling, carrying objects weighing up to 50 pounds, walking, bending, stooping, crouching, reaching, carrying, climbing ladders, pushing book carts
- Standing or sitting for long periods of time
Only electronic submissions will be considered.
Submit application, resume, and three professional references to:
Melissa Goins, Library Director